Canned fish, sweet potatoes, and jalapeno peppers are at glance a very strange combo. But once made into cakes, trust me, you’ll see the light.
These are great right out of the oven or for portable snacks on the go.
Prep time: 15-20 min
Cooking time: 20-25 min
Servings: 12 cakes
- 1 large sweet potato / yam (12-14 ounces)
- 4 green onions / scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 10 ounces canned albacore tuna or salmon, drained
- 1/2 medium sized jalapeno pepper (use whole pepper if you like spicy)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prick entire surface of sweet potato with a knife (be careful to not stab yourself).
- Cook the sweet potato in the microwave for 5 minutes on high, or until it is soft to the touch.
- Finley chop the green onions and cilantro. Mince jalapeno. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Once the sweet potato is cooled enough to touch, peel it, and mash. Measure out 1 1/3 cup.
- In a large bowl, mix together tuna, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeno.
- Add mashed sweet potato to tuna mixture and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add oil, eggs, red pepper flakes and mix together.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the mixture into the greased muffin tin. Flatten with a spoon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Check to see if an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly. If so, they’re ready.
- Allow cakes to cool. Use spatula to carefully remove the cakes from the muffin tin.
Pro tip #1: Sriracha!
Pro tip #2: Serve with lemon wedges.
Pro tip #3: The sweet potato / yam can be substituted with pumpkin or squash.